DAG or ZON-GOUL-DAK
Lake , Dag = Mountain ; "Zone Göl Dag" in French changed to
The herdsman "Uzun Mehmet" from
Kestaneci village of Eregli, found the first Coal Pieces at the Köseagzi
coast area of (Neyren brook in) Eregli town, in 1829.
After that, French Mining Companies
placed on the western black sea (Eregli) coal sources. One of those places was
near to "Göl Dagi" (Lake Mountain); And that region called as
"ZONE GÖL DAG" and time by time, "Zone-Göl-Dag"
name changed by people to "ZONGULDAK".
At the beginning of 20th century,
Zonguldak was a little village and mining center. But, it grew in a short
time. Zonguldak is the first province of the new Turkish Republic (after
Ottoman Empire times). Currently, Zonguldak province divided to 3
provinces in 1990s: Zonguldak, Bartin and Karabük.
Importance of Zonguldak does not depend
on coal mining, only. Also, there are two iron-steel plants in Eregli
and Karabük towns and thermical power plants in Çatalagzi-Muslu region
of Zonguldak coast line. And Zonguldak-Ankara railway. Filyos Valley and
Çaycuma with big industrial potential in future. Zonguldak has dark
forests on the around of it. Green-Blue and Black are symbolic colours
of Zonguldak province... (Forest-Sea-Coal)...
Salut de Zongouldak (Historical Images)